top of page



This proposal revitalizes the city's downtown area by reusing a distinguished, but now vacant, former government building and by adapting a number of abandoned or underused neighboring structures for additional cultural functions. The main 1908 Beaux-Arts building is upgraded to meet codes and programmatic requirements. A relocation of the entrance from the closed side of the U-shaped building to the open court-yard establishes a direct physical relationship between the museum and its surroundings while creating a single, unified entrance. Covering the court-yard, a translucent inclined plane of stairs has an opening at its center that leads to the Grand Foyer which is a shared space for the different departments. Water descends slowly and evenly from the top of the stairway along a channel carved into the plane, leaving a clear pedestrian path for those walking up the stairs. This water is, in fact, the very water used for the air-conditioning system. In this way, the need for an unsightly cooling tower has been eliminated and this silent cascade becomes the focal point of the city's newest public space.


bottom of page